I have to re-do my top 25. It’s not working.
Ring the bells of freedom, I am here again to liberate your minds from the shackles of your own idiocy. You will be shocked and awed. Football time is here again, losers. You know what that means? Its time for the Power 40.
Here’s the rules, losers.
– Former national champion stays at number one until they lose. Does not matter if they lost all 22 starters.
1.) USC (2)
Everyone’s sexy pick for number 1 and for national champions. They return a ton of players on both sides, and have probably the best linebacking corps in football. WR and RB are big concerns for this team, however. Don’t buy into the hype about how loaded this team is. Those WR’s need to finally step up, and someone needs to emerge as a quality RB. What will help USC is the fact that the Pac-10 is a complete joke like it is every year. Look for USC to go undefeated and for people to hail Pete Carroll as Jesus again, just like they do with Bowden and Paterno, who built empires off of Duke and Temple for 25 years. =WK 3 NOTE= With an off week coming into the game, plus the fact that Nebraska is still building, USC wins by 17. =WK 4 NOTE= Looked great against an above-average Nebraska squad. Another scrimmage this week against Wash. State. =WK 5 NOTE= At some point this team will need to get their house in order. Right? =WK 6 NOTE= Another game that was too close for comfort. This team is just not winning well.
2.) LSU (3)
Don’t believe the hype on this team either. Just because a team has strong recruiting doesn’t mean those kids are going to perform. Dorsey is a machine and so is Early Doucet, but this team also has RB issues. 5th year senior Matt Flynn is at the helm, and that’s all well and good, but the kid lost his job to an underclassmen for 2 years. Defensively, they will be strong like usual, but don’t get caught up in this hype. =WK 3 NOTE= Bring your daughter to this weeks slaughter. Nice win last week over annually-overrated V-Tech. =WK 4 NOTE= First test of the year comes this week against South Carolina. There won’t be an upset. =WK 5 NOTE= Won against a decent South Carolina squad. New off. coordinator is Gary Crowden, who has had a black cloud over his head for awhile. Will he jinx this team as well? =WK 6 NOTE= Started slow but finished strong against Tulane. Has to play better versus Florida this week.
3.) California (8)
Correction: it doesn’t get much more overrated than THIS. =WK 2 NOTE= Coming off a big morale boost by beating a bad Tennessee squad that crushed them in 2006. =WK 3 NOTE= They’ll get tested this week versus La Tech. =WK 5 NOTE= Game of the week is Cal and Oregon. =WK 6 NOTE= Big morale boost over a ranked and feared opponent, something that does not come too often for Cal. They might surprisingly be for real.
4.) Ohio State (6)
Everyone is sleeping on Ohio State. They’re recruiting is still great, and they certainly have talent on both sides, but I think this is the year they lose 2-3 games in the conference. =WK 3 NOTE= Haven’t showed much to us yet. They better play their A game this week. =WK 4 NOTE= Crushed a good team in the second half to pull away. They should beat NW by 70. =WK 5 NOTE= My prediction on that score was almost accurate. =WK 6 NOTE= Better offensively than reported. Boekman is playing extremely well, and this kid gets better every week.
5.) Boston College (7)
– Best of all the remaining teams? =WK 3 NOTE= They’re decent. We’ll find out how good they are this week against G-Tech. =WK 4 NOTE= Best of a bad ACC lot. =WK 5 NOTE= Not the best of a bad lot. This team is for real. What hurt BC before was O’Brien’s knack for playing at the level of his competition. That’s gone now. Plus they get Brian Toal back this week and he’s one of the best LB’s in the country. =WK 6 NOTE= I’m sold on Boston College. Best team in the ACC.
6.) Florida (1)
It is possible that Florida could be ranked 3rd and not get to defend their national title. They are the champs until they lose. They are inherently number 1, not USC or anyone else. Florida won the national championship, and regardless of who they lost in the offseason, it is their spot to lose. They return a ton of players on both sides, and are favorites in the SEC east. Look for Percy Harvin to have a huge year. =WK 2 NOTE= I am seriously impressed with Tebow’s maturity. I love the fact that this kid will lower a shoulder into a senior linebacker and not think twice about it. =WK 3 NOTE= First decent test of the 07 campaign takes place in the swamp versus Tennessee. Expect another UF win over average Tennessee. =WK 4 NOTE= Complete blowout of Tennessee. This defense has not lost a step. =WK 5 NOTE= Tested by Ole Miss, but prevailed. Same scenario this week versus Auburn. =WK 6 NOTE= Huge loss at home to Auburn. Tebow is too much of a crutch. Other kids have got to step up on this offense. They have LSU this week. Give me the upset.
7.) Texas (4)
UT returns a solid QB and decent WR corps. I’m still not sold on their RB’s. The Big 12 south is one of the most interesting areas of BCS football this season. Defensively, UT will be solid, but sooner or later losing D-Coordinators will catch up with you. This might be that year, given McGee’s success at A&M and Texas Tech. The UT secondary will probably be the end-all for this team’s national title chances. =WK 2 NOTE= Looked very lackluster against a bad Arkansas State. =WK 3 NOTE= Good show versus a tough TCU defense. =WK 4 NOTE= After a very bad performance, they get to rebound against a garbage Rice team. =WK 5 NOTE= Is Rice the worst team in America, or what? UT has K-State this week. Last year, K-State pulled the upset. They are in an even better position this year to do it than last year. =WK 6 NOTE= Just not playing well, and Kansas State has had their number.
8.) Oklahoma (5)
This team could be the darkhorse of the top 10 to win the national title. Don’t be fooled by OU’s lack of big-name players in 2007. This team is going to be very good on both sides of the ball, and they are 1 upset win (over UT) from winning the Big 12 this year. They are starting a 3-star freshman QB to run this team. Time will tell. =WK 2 NOTE= UNT made Bradford look like Dan Marino. I use Marino because he’ll never win anything.=WK 3 NOTE= They’re not as good as you think, but they’re pretty good. =WK 4 NOTE= They looked unstoppable again, but does everyone else remember the year when Craig James called OU the greatest team ever and they went on to lose 2-3 reg. season games? Let’s wait a little while to crown this team national champions, because they have a tendency to start out like this. They’ll get a decent test this week against an underrated Tulsa. =WK 5 NOTE= Started a little slow, but won big. =WK 6 NOTE= They’ll be out for blood this week to rebound from a big conference loss.
9.) Wisconsin (10)
People can talk about Wisconsin all they want, but the truth of the matter is that this team played 1 good team last year and they got killed by them. =WK 3 NOTE= Nothin’ like a last-second score to beat UNLV. =WK 4 NOTE= Struggled yet again, this time against The Citadel. They’re not App. State, guys, and neither is UNLV. They’ll struggle this week versus Iowa, too. =WK 5 NOTE= You won’t win every nailbiter, Wisconsin. =WK 6 NOTE= I am still just not impressed with this team at all. They are very overrated. They have Illinois this week, on the road. Expect an upset.
10.) South Florida (12)
– I’m more sold on the poise than on the fact that they beat Auburn at Auburn like that. This is a program with a ton of potential. =WK 5 NOTE= This will be the best program in the Big East. This team has another monster opportunity to beat WVU, and they just might do it. You know they’ve been waiting for this one. =WK 6 NOTE= Gigantic win for this program. You saw a star born Friday night, because this program is going to really take off.
11.) Oregon (9)
– =WK 3 NOTE= Here’s your chance, Oregon. Don’t let me down against Fresno. =WK 4 NOTE= Dixon is a Heisman candidate that is not getting much love, but I seriously doubt that this staff will do anything better than 9-3. It won’t be because of lack of effort from the players. =WK 5 NOTE= They say good teams overcome adversity. The other side of that coin says “good teams don’t go down by 21 to Stanford”. They have Cal this week, so try not to let yourself get down that badly. =WK 6 NOTE= They are better than originally advertised, and lost a great one to Cal. The top of the Pac-10 seems to maybe have gotten a little better.
12.) Georgia (14)
– They’re a year away from SEC contention. =WK 2 NOTE= Looked impressive versus a quality Oklahoma State team. =WK 4 NOTE= After losing to South Carolina, Georgia slid off pretty much everyone’s radar. We’ll see how good they are this week when they have to play Alabama. Can Saban do it two weeks in a row? In Tuscaloosa, yes he can. =WK 5 NOTE= Beat a very well coached Alabama team. Slowly, UGA is improving. Gotta catch the ball though, kiddies. =WK 6 NOTE= Big conference win for the Bulldogs. Should beat Tennessee this week.
13.) UCLA (16)
– Only here because they are better than Georgia. =WK 2 NOTE= Looked decent, but now they face a huge non-BCS test in BYU. This might be the prettiest game of the year. =WK 3 NOTE= Huge win last week, another decent one this week.=WK 4 NOTE= Nice game. Karl Dorrell continues to baffle us with his inconsistency. They have Washington this week, who the hell knows how that’ll turn out. =WK 5 NOTE= This team is way better off with that back-up playing instead of Olsen. But Karl Dorrell loves to do well 75% of the time and make weird decisions the other 25%, so expect Olsen to play when he gets back. =WK 6 NOTE= This team is too weird.
14.) South Carolina (17)
– Big morale boost over Georgia in WK2, but do they have the power to contend? =WK 4 NOTE= Huge test versus LSU this week. =WK 5 NOTE= The Ol’ Ball Coach finally goes with HIS quarterback: Chris Smelley. We’ll see how it works out. =WK 6 NOTE= So far so good for Smelley. We’ll see how he does this week versus Kentucky.
15.) Michigan (18)
– No AP preseason top 25 would be complete without the unsubstantiated lovefest for Michigan. The most overrated and underachieving program in the nation. They return a great WR in Manningham, a solid QB in Henne, and a solid RB in Hart. Defensively, this team has issues. You have to rank them reasonably high based on their talent alone, but this team is not winning any national titles until Carr leaves. They’ll win the Big Ten, but that’s where it stops in 2007. =WK 2 NOTE= Very embarrassing loss to start the season. This might be a 3-4 loss team. =WK 3 NOTE= Can they even beat ND? =WK 4 NOTE= Huge test this week versus Penn State, who everyone is high on. They have a lot of things going for them and are in a perfect position to pull this upset. =WK 5 NOTE= Can they win 10 straight? I hate it, but they might. Michael Hart is the best player in the country. =WK 6 NOTE= Tested by Northwestern, and Henne looked very impressive.
16.) WVU (11)
It doesn’t get much more overrated than this. =WK 3 NOTE= They’ll destroy a Maryland program who has been getting worse every year. =WK 4 NOTE= They’ll get a decent test versus ECU but end up winning by 25 at least. =WK 5 NOTE= You’ll see just how bad of a coach Rich Fraud is this week versus South Florida. They might win a shoot-out, but it’ll be pathetically executed. =WK 6 NOTE= Bad coaching does it again.
17.) Virginia Tech (20)
Defensively, I’m sold. Offensively, not so much. This program is pretty overrated but I think this year’s defense can make them look better than they really are. =WK 2 NOTE= They have big QB issues, and the defense will do fine in a weak conference. =WK 3 NOTE= This offense is garbage. =WK 6 NOTE= Passed a rough test over North Carolina. Defense should be tested versus Clemson.
18.) Hawaii (21)
They can pretty much beat anybody. =WK 2 NOTE= Brennan threw for 400 yards. He is still a rapist. =WK 3 NOTE= Overcame adversity to win. They have UNLV this week.=WK 4 NOTE= I’m sure Charleston Southern has a hell of a pass defense. =WK 6 NOTE= Play somebody at some point, please.
19.) Kentucky (22)
– Good defense and pretty good offense. Won a good one in a rivalry game versus Louisville, but can they win like that versus SEC teams? =WK 5 NOTE= Is Kentucky now a football school? =WK 6 NOTE= Woodson is now a Heisman candidate and with good reason. This team is surprisingly good, and they’ll beat South Carolina.
20.) Auburn (29)
Brandon Cox is 37 years old. He was the starting QB when Bo Jackson was a freshman. They’ll be good b/c they are always good. =WK 2 NOTE= Barely survived against a mediocre Kansas State. They have issues on both sides. =WK 4 NOTE= This team sucks. There’s really nothing else to say. You lose to Miss. State, its time to fake a knee injury and take the rest of the year off. They have New Mexico State this week, and I’m calling this upset. =WK 5 NOTE= Well, no upset, but they still looked awful, so I guess I was kinda right. They’ll drop another loss this week versus Florida. =WK 6 NOTE= Typical SEC outcome: unranked beats the nation’s best. Be consistent!
21.) Miami (24)
– You can talk about young defenses all you want. This LB corps is very talented and SS Kenny Phillips is the best in the business. Randy Shannon is a defensive coach, folks. Don’t buy into the “they’re too young on defense” crap. The problem in Miami was never a lack of talent, it was a lack of motivation and leadership at the top. That’s going to change now. Plus, the ACC sucks. =WK 2 NOTE= They can’t throw worth a dang, but at least they benefit from being in a terrible conference. =WK 3 NOTE= It’s like AC/DC said: Its a long way to the top if you wanna rock and roll. =WK 4 NOTE= Can avenge that huge OU loss by beating A&M this week. =WK 5 NOTE= Awesome performance versus A&M. Maybe there’s life down there after all.
22.) Clemson (13)
– Coaches are too inconsistent to ever get this team to the top. =WK 2 NOTE= Luckily for them, FSU is awful. =WK 4 NOTE= They’ll kill NC State. =WK 5 NOTE= The shoe will fall, folks, don’t believe the hype. =WK 6 NOTE= Told ya. This week they have V-Tech, and, in classic fashion, expect a win.
23.) Missouri (23)
Unranked in the AP poll, this might be the best shot (and best team) Missouri has had in a very long time. The time is now in Columbia, but if history tells us anything, Gary Pinkell will find a way to screw it up. =WK 2 NOTE= Looked a little less than stellar against an average Illinois. =WK 6 NOTE= Time to man-up… they have Nebraska this week.
24.) Florida State (28)
I hope you don’t think FSU is never going to get back to the top. They brought in Jimbo Fisher to run that program when Bowden leaves, and now Chuck Amato is back coaching there. Their recruiting is always sky high. This team has real potential to go undefeated. What a game if UF and FSU are unbeaten going into that last week. =WK 2 NOTE= This team is terrible. But there’s nowhere to go but up. Right? =WK 3 NOTE= Big test versus a Colorado squad that is about as good as they are. =WK 4 NOTE= Another lackluster performance, but a win is a win. =WK 5 NOTE= Alabama this week. We’ll measure both team’s worth. I’d take Alabama, folks. =WK 6 NOTE= This team is getting better every week. This is what coaching does to a team. This is what big-time programs do when they see a slip. I hope Penn State is paying attention.
25.) Nebraska (25)
I’m very curious about this team. I’m expecting them to win the North, and make a nice bowl game. Nebraska is on their way back up. =WK 2 NOTE= Marlon Lucky went wild last week, and expect him to do the same this week against an overrated Wake Forest. =WK 3 NOTE= Have the talent, but this program is very fragile. =WK 4 NOTE= Obliterated by USC. Good thing is that they’ll probably still win the Big 12 North. =WK 5 NOTE= Good thing about a 1 point win over Ball State (a win that came because a kid dropped a TD pass) is that they’ll still probably win the Big 12 north. Is there an echo in here? =WK 6 NOTE= Big 12 north showdown this week versus Missouri.
26.) Texas A&M (26)
Like Pinkell in the north, so goes Dennis Francione in the south. This team is supposed to be “loaded”, but I don’t see it. McGee is good, RB’s are adequate, but I’ll believe this hype when I see it. =WK 4 NOTE= I’m curious about this Miami game. This is a very big test for A&M, and I’m expecting a very close win. =WK 5 NOTE= Francione doesn’t let his critics down, yet again. =WK 6 NOTE= Why doesn’t Dennis Francione fired on the spot when he got nailed for selling inside info to those people? A&M sucks.
27.) Alabama (15)
– Enormous win over a ranked team last week, had them completely put away and let them back in the game, but still showed insane poise by winning on a last-minute drive. Very well coached team here, has another great chance to get respect this week versus Georgia. =WK 5 NOTE= This is still the sleeper team in the SEC. I can’t wait to see how insane their recruiting class is for next season. Monster test this week for them, recruiting wise, versus Florida State. =WK 6 NOTE= Lost in tight fashion. They’re playing a lot better than they would be under Shula, though.
28.) Louisville (30)
This team could give anyone fits. Expect Kragthorpe to take Louisville higher than Petrino ever could have. =WK 3 NOTE= How about some defense? they’ll need it this week versus Kentucky in a close game. =WK 4 NOTE= This team has no defense and it caught up with them against an average Kentucky team. =WK 5 NOTE= Worst defense in the NCAA?
29.) Purdue (31)
They don’t play anyone until next week. =WK 6 NOTE= This is the test Purdue has to pass, and its the first real opponent they have had yet. But they won’t beat OSU.
30.) Penn State (19)
No favoritism here. If Morelli plays like he did at the end of last season, this offense will be tough to stop for anyone. They have the best WR corps in the Big Ten, and probably the best RB tandem. Rodney Kinlaw has been overshadowed since the day he got up there. Don’t be fooled by this kid’s consistent spot at 2nd on the depth chart: he is very good. PSU also has the best TE in the Big Ten. Defensively, the secondary will be airtight and the LB’s are the best corps east of USC. Only trouble spot is maybe on d-line, but Bradley has his teams prepared. Will Hall and Jay? =WK 2 NOTE= Morelli looked like a different person back there. The defense showed a lot of excitement both on the field and philisophically. =WK 3 NOTE= Still showing weaknesses in areas. PSU’s usual inconsistent play is this team’s achilles heel in 2007. =WK 4 NOTE= This program has got to learn how to take advantage of weaker teams straight out of the gate, instead of waiting 2-3 quarters to do it. You play like that this weekend, you’ll be 3-1 for sure. This Michigan game is enormous for PSU from a psychological standpoint. You have got to win big games on the road. Is Penn State ready to turn the page? =WK 5 NOTE= Once again, coaching costs this team a chance to win a big game. =WK 6 NOTE= How many times do you need to be slapped in the back of the head before you make adjustments?
31.) Texas Tech (32)
Offense can destroy pretty much anyone, put up 700 yds of offense in that loss last week. =WK 6 NOTE= Back-up QB Tyler Potts put on a passing clinic after Harrell’s day was done. There’s no end in sight for this offense.
32.) Georgia Tech (39)
– Worst coaching staff in the BCS. =WK 3 NOTE= They’re putting up points against bad teams, folks. But I’ll give them a shot with a top 25 rank. They have BC this week, so we’ll see. =WK 4 NOTE= The coaches at this school are the reason why they will never take the next step. They’ll rebound this week versus Virginia. In theory. =WK 5 NOTE= God, it feels good to be right. Georgia Tech sucks. =WK 6 NOTE= In classic fashion, Clemson loses to someone terrible.
33.) Cincinnati (34)
=WK 6 NOTE= Won a yawner over San Diego State. First test comes against Rutgers this week.
34.) Boise State (36)
– They’ll be decent, but don’t expect a BCS spot. =WK 3 NOTE= They lost to a good team, they’ll be fine. =WK 5 NOTE= Huge game this week versus Southern Miss. =WK 6 NOTE= Won a big battle of non-BCS teams over a good Southern Miss.
35.) Michigan State (33)
Beat a bunch of sissies. =WK 6 NOTE= Lost a close one to Wisconsin.
36.) Connecticut (35)
=WK 6 NOTE= Play a real team.
37.) Rutgers (27)
– Don’t let the UB defense fool you, this is a 3 loss team. =WK 4 NOTE= Still making everyone yawn. =WK 5 NOTE= Is there an echo in here? Yawn. I’ve got to see them play a decent team. =WK 6 NOTE= Nice loss to an unranked Maryland. Must-win situation versus Cincinnati.
38.) Arizona State (-)
– They’re 5-0, but they’ve played no one.
39.) Arkansas (37)
– This team is very, very overrated. You can talk all you want about how they rallied around the new O-Coordinator, but this team is in complete disarray behind the curtains. This will be a bad year, but spirits will go up when McFadden gets drafted #1 overall. =WK 3 NOTE= First lost this year comes to Alabama. =WK 4 NOTE= Get used to those Alabama losses, fellas. And get ready for another close call, this time against a UK team who is high as a kite right now. =WK 5 NOTE= This ship has sailed and expect a coaching change. =WK 6 NOTE= Slaughtered UNT.
40.) BYU (38)
– Excellent uniforms. =WK 2 NOTE= mid-major powerhouse looks to get their deserved respect versus overrated UCLA. Go Cougars. =WK 5 NOTE= Crushed Air Farce and looked beautiful while doing it. =WK 6 NOTE= Beat New Mexico. Smell the ratings.
LADIES IN WAITING:
– Another average season by Knoxville standards. =WK 2 NOTE= Exposed by Cal, this team is headed south already. They’ll probably finish 3rd in their division, let alone conference. =WK 3 NOTE= Here’s loss number two.=WK 4 NOTE= Does anyone else wanna pat me on the back yet, my hand hurts from having to do it all the time when I’m correct. =WK 5 NOTE= They’re awful. =WK 6 NOTE= Had a much needed bye week. They have Georgia this week.
– =WK 6 NOTE= Big test versus Wisconsin, and they get them at home. I’m expecting an upset.